This wonderful recipe is from
Vegetarian Times Magazine and is reprinted here with their
permission. (The web designer has added the metric
lbs. (1.6 kg) baking potatoes, peeled and cut into approx. 3/4 inch (2 cm)
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable broth
- 2 tsp
(10 ml) Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) grated Cheddar cheese
- 3 medium
- 1 medium onion, chopped
large cloves garlic, minced (2 shallots can be substituted)
cups (480 ml) cooked lentils OR 1 package - 3/4 lb (335 grams) of soy
based ground "round"
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) vegetable
- 14.5-oz. (220 ml) can diced tomatoes,
- 1 tbsp (30 ml) tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp
(3 ml) dried oregano
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetarian Worcestershire
1. Make potato topping: In large saucepan, combine
potatoes with enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until
tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well.
2. In large bowl, mash potatoes with 1 cup (240 ml)
broth and mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Preheat oven to 350F (180C.) Bring
small saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add carrots, and cook 2
minutes to blanch. Drain, and set aside.
4. Coat large skillet with cooking spray, and set
over low heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes.
Add garlic (or shallots) and cook 15 seconds.
5. Stir in lentils (or soy based
ground "round"), blanched carrots, vegetable broth, tomatoes, tomato paste,
oregano and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well. Cook, stirring often, until
flavours have blended, about 10 minutes. Season with freshly ground pepper to
Lightly coat 3-qt (3 litre) gratin dish or shallow casserole with cooking
spray. Spoon filling into prepared dish. Top with dollops of mashed potatoes
and cheese, if desired.
7. Bake until heated through, 30-45 minutes. Let stand
10 minutes before serving.